With the amount of grilling we have done this summer, I’ve decided its time to push the brakes… or slam them (that’s the type of driver I am.) As summer nears to an end, I am transitioning our family dinners without the use of a grill (my poor husband). Tonight, we will be having this delicious, HEALTHY and easy dinner! Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) or as I formerly pronounced it (Kwuh-no-uh) before I had to google it (Yes-I did!! Ha!).
Quinoa is not only a plant-based protein (perfect for vegans) but it contains 8 whopping grams of quality proteins per cup (shhh…my kids do not need to know this… they think protein is the name of an extinct dinosaur). Quinoa also contains all of the essential amino acids that we need! Quinoa is an excellent base ingredient and you can eat it savory or sweet!
I hope you enjoy my recipe for Quinoa salad–look at you smarty pants you’re finally pronouncing it right!!!
Put down those grill tongs and Let’s Cook!!!
I hope you enjoyed cooking together!
Printable recipe below!
The Guiding Spoon
Zesty Summer Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of water (to cook quinoa)
- 3 mini cucumbers or 1 large cucumber (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tbsp of chopped cilantro
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled or cubed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of honey (for a more zesty flavor) or 1/2 cup ( for a sweeter flavor)
- 1/2 avocado (pitted and cubed)
- splash of lime juice
- You can use your own vinaigrette or dressing
- Serve this recipe chilled to enjoy it to its fullest!
- Add your own favorite vegetables
- Store leftover dressing for another salad
- In a medium saucepan, add the water, quinoa and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and turn down to simmer. Let simmer for 15-20 mins (or until the water is absorbed).
- While your quinoa is cooking, In a large bowl, add your chopped ingredients and cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients.
- Take quinoa off stove (after time is up) and let sit until cool (5 mins).
- Add the quinoa into the large bowl of chopped ingredients and toss well.
- Drizzle your dressing (only half or per desired taste) into the mixture and toss.
- Salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator.
- To Serve: Add chopped avocados as garnish and squeeze with a little lime juice!