Are you a picky pizza eater? I know I am…too greasy, too thin, too thick, too salty, no flavor..the list could go on and on (picky, picky, picky) My girls on the other hand will eat anything covered in cheese and pepperoni …(tortillas, bread…cardboard (kidding) <sigh> kids taste buds. I like my pizza fresh, flavorful, not greasy, perfectly seasoned, soft with a crunch (Is this SO much to ask for in life??)
We make pizza at home from time to time and are always experimenting with texture and flavors (like an evil scientist and his assistant) We have beakers, lab coats, Beaker in a lab coat (muppets), weird fog trickling into the door ways and a magnified spectacle (oh wait..I am thinking Sherlock..scratch the spectacle.) Great lengths have been tried at our home to create the perfect pizza. Dough recipe after dough recipe and then one fine day I stumbled into Bob’s Red Mill Pizza Crust mix and its forever changed our pizza lives. Its flavorful, soft, chewy and gets a nice crunch on the crust and NO soggy thin pizza (ewww.)
Today I am sharing with you our pizza secret. You are sworn to secrecy. Mum’s the word. This recipe should be locked somewhere in a deep underground vault..where in a few years Nicolas Cage and a sidekick will go through great lengths to unlock this pizza mystery…(Okay..Okay…Its really good pizza but not that good…*drama queen* It got you excited though…right??)
This heirloom pizza is fresh, flavorful, perfectly crusted, warmly cheesy and seasoned to a (T). I chose heirloom tomatos mainly because they taste 1 billion times better than a regular tomato. Also for all of my GF peeps (gluten-free) this is also YOUR pizza. My pizza pie is very nice, you’ll want to eat it by the slice. Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy, that’s my pizza pie (recipe).
So put on your lab coat Igor and lets MAKE pizza (laughing in a maniacal voice) (I’m actually quietly sipping coffee right now BUT for dramatic purposes…MWAHHAHAHAHA)
Well..well..I guess we can have our pizza and eat it to!
Printable recipe below!
Heirloom Tomato Pizza
- 1 bag of Bob’s Red Mill pizza crust mix (includes yeast) (GLUTEN-FREE)
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of sliced garlic
- bunch of cherry tomato’s
- parmigiano reggiano
- sliced mozzarella
- 2 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing dough after first oven cook and to drizzle on final toppings!
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine yeast and water, let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in eggs and oil. Add pizza crust mix and stir until combined.
- Divide dough: into 4 pieces for 4 small pizza, 2 pieces for 2 medium pizzas or keep whole for 1 large pizza. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 20 mins.
- Grease baking sheet and set dough on sheet. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and roll to desired shape and thickness.
- Preheat oven to 425, and bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Brush dough with olive oil and top with mozzarella, heirloom and cherry tomato’s sitting on top of cheese and garlic.
- Bake 10-15 mins or until golden brown
- Top with salt and pepper, grated parmigiano reggiano, fresh basil and extra cherry tomato’s.
Serve warm! Enjoy!
Recipe notes & tips:
- You can be creative with toppings and flavor! Enjoy!
- Pizza pairs perfect with a great bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon!