HELLO..How are you? Its so typical of me to talk about myself, I’m sorry. I hope that you’re well… I was tempted to Lionel Richie you-so…you’re welcome.
I am back. Oh how I’ve missed chatting and cooking with you. It’s been a while and let me tell ya…the struggle’s been real (YO). My months have been filled with craziness, illness, chaos, illness, peace and then more illness. My kids have had every virus known to man in the last three months. Just when I was about to take off their hazmat suits…I caught the Flu. I am writing you from the comfort of my couch..Props to all who know how I feel.
I will also mention we are adopting..!! (More details to come!) So add tons of paperwork into the mix and there hasn’t been much time for blogging.
I wanted to kick start my conversations with an oldie but goodie; My recipe for Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers…YES. Jammed pack with healthy, delicious ingredients (think Eddie Vedder and his harmonica kinda jam..)
This is perfect recipe for a busy week night or a weekend night! Enjoy!
Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa (for 4 servings) 2 cups (for 8 servings)
- 1 cup of vegetable stock for every cup of water
- 1 cup of water (for quinoa)
- 4-8 bell peppers (tops cut and cored)
- 1 can of sweet corn (drained)
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 mango (diced into small cubes)
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (quartered or halved)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3 cheese blend (Parmesan, Asiago and Romano)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring quinoa, water and broth to a boil and reduce to simmer (15-20 mins) or until all broth is absorbed.
- Rinse and drain beans and corn and set aside.
- Rinse peppers and cut tops off. To properly core (see pic below). Slide knife around sides, twist core and pop out. Remove any extra seeds. Place in a baking dish and set aside.
- Cube mango into desired size (recommend small cubes) and add to a large bowl.
- Chop cilantro, cherry tomato and add to the bowl along with beans and corn.
- Add cooked quinoa to bowl, add seasonings and mix well.
- Stuff peppers with quinoa mixture and sprinkle cheese on tops.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
To serve: Top with your favorite salsa!
Recipe notes & tips:
- If not vegan you can substitute vegetable stock with beef stock.
- You can add 1 pound of ground turkey or ground beef and cut quinoa in half.
- You can top with sour cream, avocado or cilantro lime sauce (you can find the recipe for this in my fish tacos recipe Savory Blackened Fish Tacos)