Galette (not to be mistaken for Gillette (shaver). A galette isn’t as fancy smancy (its french of course) as it is sounds because its easier than pie (literally). A galette is basically the term for a free form crust. What you decide to toss inside is totally up to you. Savory or sweet?
Do you have to prepare food for the events that surround this season? I cannot even tell you how EASY this is. It takes 10 mins prep and then let the oven work its magic. You will look like a baking super star with this recipe. This is a great recipe for breakfast, dessert, a gift and feeding visitors.
I used puff pastry (not in the mood for dough making today). This galette has a brown flaky crust wrapped around juicy warm plums and blackberries topped with a dash of cinnamon and vanilla sugar. YUMMMMMMMMMMM.
I typically tell my husband my planned recipes for the week. Last night, he asked me if I was making my fruit guillotine today. REALLY. I had to explain to him his use of words. Good grief.
While I fear at the next company picnic I should be careful not to scream “Off with their heads” in order not to create panic because I am sure at this moment my husband is bragging at work about his beloved wife’s guillotine.
Enough with mid evil beheading talk and lets bake!
You better like this or else…Actually you will LOVE it! YAY!
(Printable recipe below)
The Guiding Spoon
Easy Plum and Blackberry Galette
- Puff pastry (1 sheet thawed)
- 2 red plums (pitted and sliced)
- 1 carton of blackberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar + some for sprinkling dough
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 graham cracker crumbled into fine crumbs
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of unsalted butter (cubed small)
- 1 egg stirred with a 1 tbsp of water (egg wash)
- Add plums, berries, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon to a bowl and mix with hands
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface (1/4 thick)
- Preheat over at 350
- Place pastry onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and add graham crumbs to center.
- Place fruit mixture into pastry in an even layer. Fold sides and gather the crust around the fruit.
- Brush egg wash on the edges and sprinkle sugar on edges. ( I used vanilla sugar)
- Cut a 1 tbsp pf butter into small cubes and toss on fruit.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until golden edges and fruit bubbling.
- You can add any fruit!
- You can make this savory! Be creative!